Programming syllabus for the absolute beginnerA friend wants to start learning programming. In fact, she's considering getting a Computer Science degree and changing careers! I want to teach her everything I know: principles of object oriented design, dependency injection, high cohesion & loose coupling, unit testing, code contracts, MVC, jQuery, Python, NoSQL, Android, and .... Aargh, where do I even start?!
I need to come up with a learning plan for the absolute beginner. I want to get to the point where we could use Learn Python the Hard Way to work through the usual programming concepts and hopefully eventually build something interesting like a website or a mobile app. But I want to start at the very basics.
I'm thinking of starting with the following topics:
- Introduction to HTML (design a page using a few tags and some minimal CSS)
- Numeric expressions (operator precedence etc)
- Hello world! (string expressions)
- Binary math (bitwise operators, bytes, and, or, xor, not, shifts etc)
- Boolean algebra / if-then-else
Some links I want to look at for learning Python:
- Tutorial – Bit Banging and Boolean Math without the Math